Find us on facebook

Thursday, September 24, 2015

These Go to 11: interviewing The Persian Leaps

After recovering the section last week, here's another chapter on our interview series. This week we have to pleasure to count with Drew Forsberg from our dear The Persian Leaps and the excellent Land Ski Records label answering our questionnaire. A little bit of old-school-noise-pop in our blog today. These Go to 11! 

Ready for the jump
Drew Forsberg, The Persian Leaps 
Hailing from Saint Paul, Minnesota, this trio was formed in 2012, when Drew Forsberg decided to transform his originally solo project into a full band. A year after, they released via his own label Land Ski Records debut EP 'Praise Elephants', followed by 'Drive Drive Delay' in September 2014. Now the circle of EPs has been completed with 'High & Vibrate', out just now. Direct, shiny, infectious songs, somewhere in between noise pop and power-pop, recalling the brightest side of Sugar and our beloved Teenage Fanclub, ready for making your day immediately. Alive and kicking tunes! Here we go!

Second hand news: this record was huge
1. First record that you bought (be honest)
I believe I got several albums at once because I joined the Columbia House record club (8 records for a penny!). But I’m pretty sure that Fleetwood Mac – 'Rumours' and an ABBA greatest hits album were in there.

2. First and last concert you have attended (be honest too!)
My first concert ever was Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie at the Minnesota State Fair in 1985. My first real rock and roll concert, though, was Echo & the Bunnymen and New Order in 1987. These days, I mostly go to shows by local bands. The awesome shoegaze band, Ringo Deathstarr, was the last larger show I went to.

The fast, furious & hairy 80s, MTV style
3. Guilty pleasure (song/band you shouldn’t like but you do, yes, it’s the embarrassing question)
I have a weakness for Def Leppard, especially 'Photograph'.

4. Most precious music item you own (collector mode on)
I’m not into vinyl, and although I have stacks of CDs, I just listen to music on my phone these days. My oldest, most precious music-related item is a songbook for The Smiths – 'Meat is Murder' that I bought around 1986. I basically taught myself to play guitar using the chords in that book.
The father of lo-fi, hearing the voices...

5. Favorite lyrics (not yours)
Just about anything by the Smiths or Guided By Voices. Morrissey and Robert Pollard are amazing lyricists, although very different. If I had to pick just one example, I’d choose 'The Headmaster Ritual' by the Smiths just because it so perfectly captures a bleak, miserable school experience.

6. Musician/s you would like to meet (should be alive, for obvious reasons, but you can choose a dead one too)
Robert Pollard from Guided by Voices.

7. Favorite artwork album (not yours)
My Bloody Valentine’s 'Loveless'.

8. Books or movies? Depending on your answer recommend us one (trick: you can choose both) 
My favorite movie is 'The Godfather'. My favorite book is 'The Crying of Lot 49' by Thomas Pynchon.

Elephants going noise-pop
9. Song (of yours) you are most proud of
They’re all my children. That said, I’m still very proud of the song 'Sleeples' from Praise Elephants. It’s about my father and so far, is the only time I’ve written a song with direct, personal content.

10. What does it mean indie for you? (yes, the “serious question”)
I’m biased and have a certain sound in mind when I hear that term (guitar-driven indie rock from the 80s and early 90s). But in general, it makes me think of musicians who are passionate enough about music to keep making it, even when they have little chance of commercial, popular success.

11. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 
Still making music, with any luck, releasing the five best Persian Leaps songs we have ready every fall.

                                                                                     Zillion thanks Drew, thanks The Persian Leaps!

No comments:

Post a Comment